The agency within the judicial branch that serves as the arm of the California Supreme Court in admissions and attorney discipline for the protection of the public. Many resources here.
- California Rules of Professional Conduct A “must read” for California lawyers.
- The State Bar Act (Bus. & Prof. Code section 6000 et seq.) The other main source of ethical rules for California lawyers.
- State Bar Formal Ethics Opinions Valuable guidance in many ethical areas.
- Mandatory Fee Arbitration Advisories Useful information on the law of attorney fees.
- Moral Character Determination Forms and Information
The State Bar Court The adjudication arm of the State Bar of California.
Association of Discipline Defense Counsel (ADDC) The bar association for attorneys who represent attorney and applicants in State Bar proceedings in California.
Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers (APRL) National bar association for lawyers working in the law of lawyering.
The mission of the Lawyer Assistance Program (LAP) is to support recovering attorneys in their rehabilitation and competent practice of the law, enhance public protection and maintain the integrity of the legal profession.The program aids attorneys struggling with substance use, mental health concerns, stress, burnout and other issues impacting their productivity. The LAP supports attorneys in returning to an optimum level of professional practice.
The Other Bar is a network of recovering lawyers and judges throughout the state, dedicated to assisting others within the profession who are suffering from alcohol and substance abuse problems. We are a private, non-profit corporation. Our organization is founded on the principle of anonymity and provides services in strict confidentiality. The program is voluntary and open to all California lawyers, judges and law students. Our consultants and volunteers stand ready to assist their colleagues in all areas of recovery.
One third or more of lawyers suffer depression. This website provides resources and support for lawyers with depression.