There are many resources available about legal ethics, professional responsibility, and the discipline system. You just have to work a little bit to get to them. The links below will connect you to useful information that you need to know. Every attorney must read and understand the Rules of Professional Conduct and the relevant statutes of the Business and Professions Code.
The agency within the judicial branch that serves as the arm of the California Supreme Court in admissions and attorney discipline for the protection of the public. Many resources here.
- California Rules of Professional Conduct A “must read” for California lawyers.
- The State Bar Act (Bus. & Prof. Code section 6000 et seq.) The other main source of ethical rules for California lawyers.
- State Bar Formal Ethics Opinions Valuable guidance in many ethical areas.
- Mandatory Fee Arbitration Advisories Useful information on the law of attorney fees.
- Moral Character Determination Forms and Information
The State Bar Court The adjudication arm of the State Bar of California.
Association of Discipline Defense Counsel (ADDC) The bar association for attorneys who represent attorney and applicants in State Bar proceedings in California.
Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers (APRL) National bar association for lawyers working in the law of lawyering.